Experiences of interns from BYU working in various parts of Japan.

Sunday, June 25, 2006

Week something or other

June 19 – 23, 2006
This week was basically more catalog translation. I was also given a deadline of July 5th. I have about a week and a half left. Thirty pages left to translate and about that many to revise. I’m thinking it will be busy but doable.
I had a few meetings with the Product Development Department and Sales Department heads to go over and finalize the License Agreement. I realized I have way too much pride in my work, because despite all the time I spent on drafting it instead of translating, I was still angry when they made me change my translation back to Japanese-ish ways of speaking. I realized half way through these meetings that the Germans who will read that document have about the same reading level as the Japanese do, (well, actually a lot better in some instances) so I was left to ponder as to why they wanted me to fix their English if the original was what they wanted anyway. I guess in that respect I had too much pride because I dumbed it down a lot and wasn’t very happy about it. Maybe that’s a cultural difference and maybe it would be frustrating for anyone, who knows?

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home