Experiences of interns from BYU working in various parts of Japan.

Monday, May 15, 2006

Hello Minasan

This is Stephen Hawker. I am working at Daifuku in Komaki near Nagoya. This first week has been interesting. First living in the dorms is an interesting because it almost seems like no one else lives there, except around meal times. The meals are great because it is like Japanese cafeteria food. Which I haven’t had before but I’m sure I will be sick of by the time the summer is over. The dorm it self is comfortable and quiet. Work is also interesting because my boss is American and his job is not directly related to what the rest of his section does. He is a salesman and the department is more of a supporting role. Half of the division translates customer claims and concerns and the other half translates sales and pricing manuals. I get to be involved in all of these activities so it will be a great experience for me. I will have the opportunity to make some sales calls with my boss and visit the big factory in Shiga. They are moving most of the manufacturing from this plant down to the one in Shiga so lots of people will be transferred while I am here. Up to this point I have just been translating. I did some of the complaints but am mostly working on a pricing manual right now. Despite the technical aspect of the material it isn’t that hard to translate. But I am glad that I took Japanese 321 before I came. It is basically the same as translating an article for that class. I also saw Jon and Wes at a stake event so that was pretty interesting. Good luck guys. Well that is about it for this week.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home